I welcome you to this important article that will guide you very well in terms of your vehicle so as not to get problem. The information in this article deals with the automatic shift lock or engine start and other information.
The information deals with the meaning of automatic shift lock also know as engine start and how to fix it. You will also get to know about the symptoms or signs that it exhibit when the problem arise and the cost of fixing it.
What does automatic shift lock or engine start mean
About the meaning of it, automatic shift lock is also known as engine start and is said to be an operation that indicate symbol which symbolize the engine. The ignition light will always on and it will locks the shifter in the neutral or when parked.
As it is stated above, it shows that the automatic shift lock or engine start is very important to your vehicle. Actually the symbol is like a shoe, vootor foot on or near a pedal which serve as reminder that the brake engaged.
With a start push button or a keyless starting of the vehicle, the indicator of the vehicle will always appear at the instrumental panel. And as it appear and signal for the shifter of the engine to start working.
Actually the symbol that is of a shoe which is inside the typical circular brake is a symbol that remind that the brake must be stepped on to release the shift lock. It deals with shifting of transmission into drive or reverse.
- Transmission Fluid Temperature Light
- Low Oil Pressure Light Meaning Symptoms
- Reduced Engine Power Warning Light
- Toyota RAV4 all Warning Lights On Dashboard & Meaning
- How to Fix Airbag Warning Light & Bad Sensor Signs
Is it safe to drive with automatic shift lock on?
The shift lock will always release feature that will allow the driver to make switch of the available automatic transmission options. The shift lock is usually a button found on top or side of the gear selector lever and with it, the driver will be able to lock the gear.
About how safe for you to drive while the signal light on, the shift lock is typically a button on top of the lever. And if the button is pressed, the lock will be released which will help the driver to move the vehicle properly.
In response to the above question: NO is the answer unless you are always in high standard and your car does not shift automatically as a safeguard. So depending on the car and its durability, you can still drive normally at times.
How do I fix my automatic shift lock or engine start?
The automatic shift lock or engine start can simply be known to be a safety function that help enabling movement. And when it seems it can’t be shift from one setting of the vehicle to the other positional side.
The procedure below will help you in fixing the automatic shift lock or engine start:
- Firstly is to engage the emergency brake or parking brake by inserting the ignition key and turn on the ignition.
- You then find the shift lock that can override the slot as it is on the shifter side near the lever and the slot.
- Now, insert a key or nail file or a screwdriver into that same slot and then you need to push it down and hold it.
- You can now press the brake pedal while you are also pressing down it in order to override.
- Lastly to complete the process, you shift the gears normally as you will like it to be and its done.
As you know, it shows that the automatic shift lock or engine start is very important to your vehicle. Actually the symbol is like a shoe, vootor foot on or near a pedal which serve as reminder that the brake engaged.
Symptoms of a faulty shift lock
The automatic shift lock or engine start is so important as it serve as safety feature to your vehicle. It actually help in keeping you as a drive from shifting out of park unless your vehicle is on bad position or the brake pedal is depressed.
The symptoms are as follows:
- One of the symptoms is that the vehicle will not be able to shift out of the parking position even with the help of your foot on the brake pedal.
- Also the battery will be dead as it pose another symptom that signify a problem of the automatic shift lock or engine start.
With the above symptoms, you will be able to know when there is problem concerning the automatic shift lock or your engine failure to start. So it is important to quickly check it and make some necessary correction.
How much does it cost to fix automatic shift lock?
As earlier described, automatic shift lock is also known as engine start and is said to be an operation that indicate symbol which symbolize the engine. The ignition light will always on and it will locks the shifter in the neutral or when parked
Now concerning the cost of fixing the automatic shift lock, the actual average cost for its replacement ranges from the amount of $120 to $140. The labor cost is also estimated to be around the with of $70 and $190 while also its parts costs the amount of $160.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.