In this article you will learn how to replace headlight lens. Headlight lens also called the headlight housing or grill is a plastic holding the headlights assembly together.
This lens might need to be replaced for many reasons including deculturation or being broken. If this headlight housing breaks, it will expose the other components of the assembly which could lead to further damage.
Further damages to the headlight means more expenses which am sure no car owner wants to experience. For his reason, in this article i will guide you through simple procedure on how to replace headlight lens in eight steps.
8 steps to replace headlight lens
Replacing a broken or and old decolorated headlight lens is a not a hard task, all you need a screw driver. Yes you read it right all you need to change headlight housing also called lens is screw driver.
In most modern cars the headlight hosing is held to the assembly by clips and others by screws around the edges. The screw driver will be used to either unscrew or unpin the clips of the old les.
Lets just get the job done and stop much of talking. Follow the guide below to get started immediately.
Now carefully remove the old lens to avoid further damages to the other parts of the headlights assembly. Finally replace
- Switch off the ignition Switching off of the ignition and removing of the key is one of the best safety measures to be taken when doing repairs on the vehicle. Always remove the keys to avoid electrical short circuit when working on electrical components.
- Locate the lens clips or screw So to get started, switch of the car and remove the key, now open the the bonnet and locate the head light. If the lens is held by screw then unscrew it and if it is by clips unpin the clips. Like i have mentioned before some headlights housing are held by clips while others by screw. Whether a crew or clips you need to remove them them before you can replace the headlight lens. The lens are usually positioned around the perimeter of the lens where it connects to the headlight. The clips are constructed of either metal or plastic.
- Removing the clips This has to be done carefully to avoid breaking the clips since they are made mostly of plastics. To remove the clips, insert a flat screw driver through the center of the clip and gently left the crew up to detach it from the lens. Each headlight should have six to eight clips holding it to the assembly, repeat this process for both headlights to detach it from the lens. Make sure use too much force else you my break the clips.
- Removing the old lens After removing the clips, it is now time to remove the broken or old decolorated car lens. To remove the lens grasp the old lens from both side and gentle pull out from the pumper. There is a robber gasket between the lens and the assembly be careful not break it. If the black gasket comes off with the lens, remove it from the lens and push back to the assembly.
- Insert the new headlight lens Now that you have remove the old broken headlight housing, its time to replace it with the new one. Pick up the new lens and place right in the same position the old one was removed. Make sure the black plastic gasket aligns directly under the lens appropriately and hold the lens bad with your hand.
- Putting the clips or screws back Now its time to put back the clips to hold the lens together to the assembly. Push each if the clips back to hold the lens gently to avoid them braking. Do this one after the other, you do not need to rush the process. Press each on the clip down until you hear an audible cranking sound. Repeat this process for all of the other clips.
Wow! you have just learned how to replace headlight lens and have successfully replaced it. I guess that was not a very long or difficult task to complete.
Why do you need to change the headlight lens
The lens holds the the assembly which hold the headlight bulb, turn signal and the reflector. Headlight lens can get broken since they are made of plastics, they also decolorate as a result of oxidation.
This lens can also leak leading to the exposure of the light bulb and the reflector. If the bulb get exposed, it can be broken and the reflector can get dirty and lose it reflectiveness.
How long can you drive with one headlight?
Driving with one headlight is not the problem but when are driving with one headlight is the problem. You can drive as far as you wish to drive in the day light with one headlight as you don’t need them to see the road.
The headlights does not only help you driving to see the road but it also helps other on th road know that another is coming. For this reason it is totally bad to drive with broken headlights or one headlight at night.
In fact is required by law that all vehicle to have at least two active headlights on while driving at night. If you would have your car’s two head lights working to avoid the law you should do it for your safety.
Please do not attempt to drive at night with one headlight or a broken headlight. If you still have any question about how to replace headlight lens or related to headlights please ask us through the comments section. Below are sample of question you might want to ask use
- Can you replace just the headlight lens?
- How much does it cost to replace headlight lens?
- Can you buy just the lens cover for headlights?
- How do you remove a headlight lens?
- Can you get pulled over for a cracked headlight?
- How long can you drive with one headlight?
- Is broken headlight illegal?
- How long does a headlight change take?
- Can you drive with brights on if headlight is out?