If you know how to reprogram a key fob then you would not need to consult a dealership neither a locksmith. This know can be very useful in situations where you lost your original key fob.
Ever since the past two decades, most vehicle makes have adopted the use of keyless entry. The system is more of a comfort device with an adde layer of security on top of it.
The keyless entry system has been upgraded to work with an engine immobilizer to act as a layer of security. So even when a car thift get passes the door, the car won’t start without the original key.
How reprogram a key fob without tools
The logic behind immobilizer to cut current from flowing when the transponder in the immobilizer does not get the correct signal from the key fob. This prevents the vehicle from being “hot wired” after entry has been gained through the door.
Different cars have different ways to reprogram their key fobs. The process mentioned below is the simplest way to reprogram any remote in general. This guide works with most cars on the market, but sometimes you need to find information for your exact car model.
You can find more specific information about your car’s remote from the owner’s manual. The process should take less than 10 minutes
- Open your vehicle’s door and get into the drivers seat The drivers seat is where you have the position to insert the key in the ignition and carry out the configuration needed. Seat in the drivers seat and log the doors behind you, this is to make sure that every configuration done is done correctly.
- Insert the key in the ignition cylinder Now that you are seated, the next step is to insert the key into the ignition switch cylinder and turn to “ON” position. If your car is a Hyundai turn the key to “ACC” position and if yours is a Toyota turn to “II”.
- Make sure that the ignition is not in the radio mode, and do not start the engine. This will turn on all the electronic accessories in your car which tell your car’s computer the it is in key program mode.
- Press the lock button on the remote key
- On pressing this, locking with the key will be automatically be programmed to the fob. Still in the ‘On’ position, press the fob’s lock button and turn the key back to the ‘Off’ position.
- Repeat this process at least three times, ending the cycle with the key in the ‘On’ position. This sends an indicator to your electronic control units that it’s your key in the ignition sending out the signal, and it does save the data afterward.
- Listen for a Lock Sound Once you have repeated the above process, you will hear the lock sound. This indicates that you have entered the programming mode. Once this is done, press the lock button again within five seconds, and the programming will succeed.
- Turn Off the ignition Finally, turn off the ignition to close the configuration mode. After completing this steps, now your key fob is ready to be used. Once the above steps are performed, turn the ignition back to the ‘Off’ position to terminate the programming procedure. Step out from your car and test the result take your key fobs with you and leave the vehicle and close all doors.
Test to both unlocks with all your key fobs that got programmed to verify the function. This procedure works for most car models including Honda accord, Toyota Camry, RAV4, and Hyundai.
can you reprogram a used key fob to a different car
Yes, a used key fob can be reprogrammed to work for a different vehicle, this all depends what model and make the vehicle is. The process is pretty simple answer straight forward just like in the case where you are reprogramming a new fob. Follow the steps below to get started
- Open your car and get inside.
- Now lock all the doors.
- Insert the key into the ignition switch and remove it.
- Repeat this process 6 times or 10 times.
- Wait for the hazard to come on and flash two times.
- That puts the vehicle and key in program mode.
- Put the key back into the ignition switch and turn to “ON” position
- This will only activate the electronics in the car
- Immediately press any button on the smart intelligence Key
- Now remove the key and walk out of the vehicle
- Close the doors and stand at a distance and press any button on the remote
- You vehicle should either flash lights or the horn beeps once
If you have completed this steps then you have successfully reprogrammed a used key fob. However, you’ll want to test this out near your Nissan to be sure everything works properly.
However, if this procedure does not work for your car make please check your car manual and see what works for your car make. You can also check out for more details about key fob programming for other car make on our key fob category.
Can you program a new key fob yourself?
In that instance, you would need to take your vehicle to the dealership to have them pull specific information for your vehicle to get a new key made for you. The good news with that is, you can tell them you just want the key and shell of the fob, you will do the programming yourself.
What to do when your car smart key is bad
Other key fob remote problems are more complicated, but it’s still possible to fix them. Here are the five things you’ll want to check first when your remote stops locking or unlocking your car doors:
- Verify that the remote is actually bad by using a backup remote.
- Check and replace the key fob battery as needed.
- Take the key fob apart and check for broken contacts or misaligned buttons.
- Reprogram your remote yourself or have a professional do it.
- Replace your remote if necessary.
How do you unlock a car with a dead key fob?
Try holding the key fob right up against the door near the handle and pulling. Sometimes there’s just enough juice in the battery to allow you to unlock it from a close distance. Or, if you’re stuck in a parking lot or shopping center, you might be able to swap out the battery.